Healthier Fettuccine Alfredo
Total Time: 40 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 25 min.
Yield: 4 servings
8 oz. dry whole grain fettuccine
3 cups low-sodium organic vegetable broth
1 medium cauliflower, chopped (about 1½ pounds)
2 tsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 pinch ground nutmeg
Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
½ cup unsweetened almond milk
½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley (for garnish; optional)
1. Cook fettuccine according to directions on package. Before draining, reserve 2 cups of cooking water; set aside.
2. Bring broth to a boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower. Reduce heat; cook, covered, for 12 to 15 minutes, or until soft.
3. While cauliflower cooks, heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat.
4. Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute, or until garlic is soft. Remove from heat and strain.
5. Place cauliflower in blender (or food processor) with 2 cups of reserved cooking water, garlic, and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Blend in two or more batches if necessary; cover with lid and kitchen towel. Blend until very smooth. Add additional cooking water if needed.
6. Heat cauliflower mixture in same medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
7. Add almond milk; cook, stirring frequently, 5 to 7 minutes. Consistency should be that of a thick soup.
8. Add fettuccine; mix well.
9. Divide fettuccine evenly between four bowls. Top evenly with cheese and parsley (if desired); serve immediately.